Mayoral Candidate Narine Sookram's Platform
I believe our city needs a fresh vision based on our diversity and creativity of our citizens. In Kitchener there are lots of great ideas from citizens and city hall staff like you waiting to be developed. The good news is I have the passion and ability to engage our city and create a culture of innovation. I would like to lead a city-wide engagement strategy to build stronger, more vibrant neighbourhoods and to make our city prosperous for everyone and an example for others to follow.
- People and Neighbourhoods First: related to people over cars, I.e. Bike trails
- Greater democratic engagement: use technology to allow people to suggest and vote on new ideas and neighbourhood and city issues and new ideas and budgeting.
- Look for every opportunity to help create more subsidized and supportive housing and assist those living on the street and reduce the causes of
- Ensure a human scale to neighbourhood development and ensure full and transparent communication with neighbourhoods regarding consideration of any supportive services in their area
- Help any neighbourhoods that want to establish a website
- Work with citizens to create a 1, 2, 3 kit to help neighbourhoods deal with the city and get resources to deal with difficult situations.It is not enough to help neighbourhoods celebrate, they need help when they have challenges.
- Have council do a tour of a neighbourhood once per term prior to council meeting in the neighbourhood where the neighbourhood would have input into the agenda
- Create strong partnerships between schools and recreation centers for family fitness and health.
- Innovation, and no waste.
- I will initiate a detailed investigation into our assets and liabilities, income, and expenditures as a first step
- Establish a Volunteer Financial Watchdog Team who will watchdog Kitchener’s finances.
- In an easy to understand format, financial information needs to be timely and open to the public online.
- Encourage the entire community to be involved in green decision-making.
- Fund or co-fund citizen tree planting both in parks and on boulevards
- Land space must be developed in a sustainable manner.
- Encourage more community gardens, lawn gardens and boulevards
- Collaborate with Apartments and Condos to encourage greater recycling and green bin opportunities
- Look at city fleets to ensure smaller and greener cars are purchased
- Commit to working with Arts organizations to create a structure for local artists to highlight their talents and find ways to make a living off these talents, by providing help to negotiate the business aspect to give them a jump start.
- There will be continuous support through ongoing training and participation on existing community events.